Tonight I've been thinking a lot about my career. Every now and then I like to get back to "First Principles" and re-evaluate my core values.
To that end, here is what I think I value as a software developer.
1. A consistent working location.
- Part of a community that I can contribute to
2. Solving interesting problems that help people be more productive and prosperous.
- Challenging work
- Not micro-managed
- Do no evil
3. Working with people who I can learn from and hang out with
- Continuous learning
4. Sharing my knowledge with other people.
- Presentations, discussions
- Grow your people
- New business from new ideas
All this is sprinkled with most of the stuff you see in the RSA Animate - Drive video:
That's it for now, maybe some future me will look back at this and re-evaluate. Next time I'll talk about my career as a consultant and how that meshes with these values.
Now Playing - Drake - I'm On One